Have you considered the health or the state of your brain, particularly the effect it may be having on your daily life and overall health? Brain mapping and neurofeedback are biofeedback technologies that interpret brain activity and help you best understand how you may be able to retrain and enhance your mental functions. Learn more during a consultation with us at The Wellness Makeover Doctor in Mesa, AZ!
What is Brain Mapping?
Brain mapping creates a visualization of your brain activity. It utilizes EEG, short for electroencephalogram, which measures electrical brain activity. Electrode sensors are attached to your scalp for this painless, non-invasive process. These sensors monitor your brain activity and waves.
The activity is interpreted into maps, highlighting the specific areas and functions of the brain. Each person has a different brain profile, and a variety of things in life may impact the dominance, ability, and activity of certain parts of the brain.
What is Neurofeedback?
Neurofeedback is a form of biofeedback used to enhance brain function and retrain brain waves. It is a self-regulation approach to brain function that is based on EEG. It may utilize information obtained from brain mapping.
Neurofeedback involves attaching electrode sensors to the scalp, which provide information about brain waves. The electrode sensors are attached to a cap and this cap is placed on the head. Additional sensors are clipped to the earlobes. No messy gels or shaving is necessary! The brain waves are displayed on a monitor, reflecting information about the nature of brain activity.
During the neurofeedback process, you watch the information on the screen as you would a video game. In real time, you attempt to alter your behavior to improve, change, or reduce the brain signal.
How Could I Benefit from Brain Mapping and Neurofeedback?
Brain mapping and neurofeedback may be utilized to reduce the anxiety related to a variety of concerns, such as:
- ADD/ADHD – Neurofeedback may reduce anxiety allowing individuals to focus better.
- Anxiety and Depression – Neurofeedback can be used to address anxiety by influencing the brain to respond to or disengage with specific stimuli.
- Brain Trauma – As brain injuries or trauma impact the ability to concentrate, this creates a level of anxiety which neurofeedback can help to reduce.
- Chronic Pain and Pain Management – Neurofeedback may offer a comprehensive approach to reducing the anxiety of pain. It may modify your body’s different responses to anxiety related to pain, including associating positive emotions with feelings of anxiety related to pain.
- Headaches – These technologies may help reduce the anxiety related to the frequency and severity of headaches and migraines.
- Memory Problems – Neurofeedback may be utilized to enhance the function of working memory by reducing the anxiety related to having memory problems.
- PTSD – By using neurofeedback to retrain the brain’s response to anxiety, this may help manage and reduce the anxiety related to PTSD.
- Sleep Problems – This may improve the anxiety related to a variety of sleep-related concerns, including nightmares, sleep walking, night terrors, sleep talking, bed wetting, and more.
It is important to remember brain mapping and neurofeedback should not be approached as cures, and results will vary. They are technologies, tools, or treatments. Reducing the anxiety related to the concerns listed above may help reduce the impact of those concerns on your life.
A consultation with Dr. Markison in Mesa can help you better understand the brain mapping and neurofeedback processes. She will further explain how they work as well as how you may be able to benefit from them. Dr. Markison will also help you develop your personalized treatment plan.
Schedule Your Consultation!
Interested in learning more about the potential neurological and health benefits of this technology? Contact us today at The Wellness Makeover Doctor and schedule your consultation to learn more about brain mapping and neurofeedback. Dr. Laura Markison and her professional staff proudly serve you from Mesa, Arizona. We look forward to helping you better understand your personal health.